Review & Buyer’s Guide in 2019!
Welding is a profession that requires understanding metals, heat, and electricity and how they all work together to “glue” weld two metallic surfaces to each other.
When starting to weld, or when using a DIY home welding machine, you do not need to invest in a professional machine that would be found in a fabrication plant. There are plenty of very versatile welding tools that will provide excellent results in the hands of an experienced welder.
We provide you with a guide of 10 great welding machines that provide perfect results (in the right hands).
List Of The Best Stick Welders:
1. Amico Power – DC Inverter Welder – 110/230V Dual Voltage IGBT Welding Machine
The Amico MMA Stick welder is basic, fast to operate and easy to master. It uses SMAW welding sticks and comes with a 10ft electrode and work clamp cable. This is very easy to understand and operate welding machine for all users.
- Input Power: 115V/230V/60Hz, Input current at rated output 20Amp
- Output Range: DC: 5-160A 115V/230V
- Rated Output Current/Voltage/Duty Cycle: 160Amp/23V/60% Duty Cycle / ETL Listed
- Weight/Dimensions: 18 lbs. 12.5” x 9” x 22”
2. S160-DR, 160-Amp Stick Arc Welder IGBT DC Inverter 115 & 230V
This little stick inverter DC welding machine gives you a very good work performance. It comes with a 10’ cable and clamp as well as a 12’ power source cable. While it is only a 115A machine, it does provide a 60% duty cycle which is impressive for its size.
- Dimension: 19 x 11 x 6.5 in., Product Weight: 16 lbs.
- Rated Input Power: 2.3KVA & 6.9KVA
- Rated Output: 25.2V at 115V & 26.4V at 230V
- Rated Input Current: 20A at 115V & 30A at 230V
- Output Current: 20-160A
- Rated Duty Cycle: 60% at 115V/140A & 60% at 230V/160A
This is a great small and efficient welding machine.
3. Goplus MMA TIG ARC IGBT Welding Machine 200 AMP 110/220V DC Inverter Welder System
This dual MMA and TIG welding machine is well worth every penny you spend on it. This model comes with a reinforced nylon panel and a full array of voltage protection. The plastic handle makes it easy to carry, and it only weighs 24Lbs.
- Weight: 24lbs
- Weight capacity of each layer: 2.2lbs
- Voltage: AC 110V/220V, 50-60H
- Rated input capacity(KVA): 9.6
- Rated input current(A): 42
- Output current range (A): 10-120/200
- Rate duty cycle: 30% @ 200A
- Output efficiency (%): ≥85%
- Power factor: 0.76
- Overall dimensions: 13.4’’ x 5.1’’ x 8.7’’
This is a very useful tool to have anywhere, especially for its price.
4. GRELE 140 Amp Digital LCD Display Welder DC Inverter Stick ARC Welding Machine
The Grele 140amp welding machine is compact and easy to use. It’s a plug and play model, where you just plug it in and start to weld.
- Rated Input Voltage: AC 115V @ 60Hz
- Rated Input Power/Current: 1.6 KVA / 39A at 115V
- Rated Output/Current: 25.6v at 115V / 20-140A DC
- Rated Duty Cycle: 60% at 115V/110A / 35% at 115V/140A
- Efficiency: 85%
- Dimension: 11.5″ x 4.7″ x 7.5″(29x12x19cm)
- weight: 14.5lbs (6.5kg)
This is a very basic model and is best suited for beginners or low intensity use.
5. Forney Easy Weld 298 Arc Welder 100ST, 120-Volt, 90-Amp
If its simplicity and no frills, just power up and weld, then this is the one you want. This is what we call a starter arc welding machine, and it is designed for beginners and students of welding. Its also not a bad home appliance if you need one around.
This model uses a standard inverted 120V input 190Amp output conversation and has an options TIG add-on that can be bought separately.
This model handles up to 1/8″ electrode and welds 16 gauges up to 5/16″.
The bottom line is that this machine is so simple you only need a 120V power source, and off you go.
6. SlashArc DC 160 amp Dual voltage input IGBT Stick Welder
TheSlashArc™ DC-160 gives great performance and control and provides a dual voltage option for a more versatile welding option. This model comes with an Amp control with LED display.
- Input Power: 115V at 60Hz, 230V at 60Hz with rated output 20A
- Output Range: DC: 5-160 A 115/230V
- Rated Output Current/Voltage/Duty Cycle: 160A/23V/60% ETL Listed
- Wire Feed Speed Range: 45 – 425 ipm (inches per minute)
- Weight/Dimensions (16 lbs. 12.5” x 9” x 22” (8 kg. 320mm x 230mm x 560mm)
This is a very useful and simple welding machine, and is a perfect beginners companion.
7. Goplus Wolf MIG 130 Welder Flux Core Wire Automatic Feed Welding Machine
This is the Wolf MIG welder that provides exceptional finishes when used by an experienced hand. This is more than a beginner’s model, but its price makes it extremely attractive to all welders. This model comes with a steel frame and plastic handle for easy carrying.
- Power source: 110V/60HZ with 10A circuit breaker and 13A mains fuse.
- Max open voltage: 37V
- Max output current:15% at 105 AMP and absorbed power of 3.6KVA
- Power cord length :72.5″
- Welding gun cord length with gun :65″
- Dimension:13.4″ x 7.3″x 11.4″
- Weight:35 lbs.
This is a very useful MIG welder, and its price makes it a perfect learning tool for beginners.
8. ZENY MIG130 Gas-Less Flux Core Wire Welding Machine AC 60 AMP Automatic Feed
This sturdy MIG welding machine provides enough adjustable functionality to make it a contender with any other higher priced MIG welding machine. This model comes with 4 buttons for MIN/MAX,1/2 for setting the correct heating levels.
This Zeny model also includes a variable feed speed controller, a torch with full On/Off safety control and automatic thermal safety protection.
- Voltage: 110 V / 60 Hz Single Phase
- Welding Current: 50-120 AMP
- Duty Cycle: 10% at 105AMP 35% at 60 AMP
- Max absorbed power (KVA): 2.5, Absorbed power 60% (KVA): 1.1, Max Open Voltage: 33V
- Power factor: 0.9, Flux wire diameter (MM): 0.8-0.9
- Current range (A):50-90
- Weight/Dimensions: 32.3Lbs. / 18.1” x 15.3” x 9.4”
How to feed wire video
9. Stanley Power 170 Stick Welder – Portable 230-Volt, 140-Amp Professional Welding Machine
The Stanley Power 170 is a versatile yet simple welding machine that provides all the basics for a fast fix job. This is a compact unit, well suited for traveling professionals that need lightweight and versatile welding machine wherever they might be. It comes with an adjustable strap, and its 10.3 Kg weight make it easy to use and carry.
- Input voltage: 230 Volt
- Input power: 1.6 KW
- Usable electrodes: 1.6 – 3.25 / 4 Ø mm
- Open circuit voltage: 90 Volt
- Welding current range: 25 – 140
- Duty cycle: 20% at 140 Amp
- Will connect to a power generator rated at 7.3 kW minimum output power.
This is a great portable unit for all levels of use.
10. Metal Man 80 Amp Inverter DC Stick Welder
The Metal Man 80A inverter is the ultimate portable welding machine for both professionals and beginners. It is so light, weighing in at only 5Kgs and it is versatile enough to provide a good weld.
- 120V 20 Amp 60 Hz Input Power
- No Load Voltage 75V
- Output Range 20 to 75A DC
- 20% Duty Cycle @ 75A
- Weight = 9 lbs.
This is a perfect portable welding solution.
There isn’t one welder that can provide a one-size-fits-all solution. You need to match your welding machine to the job that needs to be done. Having stated this, a cheap MIG welder is perfect for basic joining applications. TIG welders are more precise and give higher quality work, and there are a number of very good cheap TIG welders reviewed here.